Meet the Apes
Theater of the Apes is an East Harlem-based company dedicated to presenting original, affordable, comic work better heeled producers daren’t touch.
Dawn of Theater of the Apes:
Founded in the late 90s by Greg Kotis and Ayun Halliday, the Apes managed just one credit – the original New York International Fringe Festival production of Urinetown: The Musical – prior to disappearing from view due to the exigencies of parenthood.
Return of the Theater of the Apes:
In 2017, the Apes reemerged. We are here for good. Good, cheap, oddball theater. Like:
- Lunchtime by Greg Kotis
- Zamboni Godot by Ayun Halliday
- Animal Farm by Sir Peter Hall (starring Theater of the Apes’ Sub-Adult Division)
- NURSE! by Ayun Halliday
- The Truth About Santa by Greg Kotis
- Necromancers of the Public Domain (an ongoing monthly variety series)
- I Am Nobody by Greg Kotis